Located in Lung Fu Shan Country Park, Pinewood Battery was an important point of coastal defence because it is situated at an area of elevated terrain looking out on the western mouth of Victoria Harbour. Construction of the battery started by the end of the 19th century and was completed in 1905, as part of the British colonial government’s plan to strengthen the defence of the western part of Hong Kong Island. As the air force improved following the Second World War, Pinewood Battery became an anti-aircraft battery with facilities like barracks to defend the Japanese Army, instead of the French or Russian forces. It was later abandoned in 1941, when it was heavily shelled by Japanese artillery fire. Surprisingly, its command post, lookouts, magazines, and even the lavatory remain in good condition, allowing visitors to learn about the wartime history along the 400-metre Pinewood Battery Heritage Trail.